Monday, August 4, 2008

Ba Ba Burger

Off to a real start now. Uploaded a new photo of the grill and today's Lamb Burgers to lie behind the title. Walking through Whole Foods the other day I picked up a pound and a half of ground lamb. It was something like 40 cents more a pound than the ground sirloin.

Salt
Pepper
Dried Oregano
Zest of 1 Lemon
1/3 Onion finely diced
1.5 lbs ground lamb
Other seasonings per your taste
Olive Oil to coat the burgers

I used some of my favorite commercial steak rub. Mint and a pinch of cinnamon might be a great addition to this if you skip the oregano.

Cooked the burgers over direct high heat for about 5 minutes a side. Toasted the buns. More like blackened a few buns. I was distracted while taking photos. Either way they turned out pretty well. Tried my burger press for the first time today too. It worked, of course, but the burgers blew up a little bit, not nearly as badly as when I hand shape them. You know how it can be- Softballs. I have tried dimpling one side as so many grilling cookbooks advise without luck. We each ate one and have three in reserve for later in the week. The salmon is still in the fridge too. I'll have to find a way to get that somewhere other than the cat's stomachs. I treated Stumpy to a bite as her was served dinner a lot later than usual.

I have to admit that my grilling technique could use some improvement. I have to find a thick enough steak to really try to make it red and cool in the center. Most of the steaks I've purchased are so stinking thin that it takes no time for them to cook through. Or, I suppose I could be a little faster with the tongs.

No comments: